Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The case of Job

The case of Job 1 month 3 weeks ago #13137

• Cornelius
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi there folks

It's been a long time since anyone has posted on here. There seems to be no news from Rodin, so what's going on?

Well, maybe someone can help me out with a question I have on Job. A fascinating man indeed. I recently read somewhere that the book of Job is much older than the Tanak - since the book doesn't mention a "flood" and hence it must obviously precede the flood. I thought that interesting, but that is just so "by the way".

My question runs deeper and concerns the actual subject of the book. We know (from the introduction of the book) that Lucifer attended a council in heaven and it contains a short conversation between God and Lucifer concerning the righteousness of Job which Lucifer went and tested.

So, he took everything away from Job in a short period of time - sons, daughters and livestock and, to rub it in, caused Job to get sores from head to toe. So poor Job sat on the ash heap. From then on, there is various conversations between Job and his wife, friends and even God Himself.

My question is this: Since God gave Lucifer permission to "test" Job but not take his life, then why is there these lengthy "arguments" between God and Job. It almost seems as if God is upset with Job with statements like "where were you when this or that happened"? or "can you measure this or that?"

What was Job accused of? What did he do wrong? I don't quite understand the whole meaning behind all this. Can someone with more knowledge explain this?

Kind regards
Cornelius
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The case of Job 1 month 2 weeks ago #13138

• Molly
  • Thank you received: 39
Hi Cornelius-

I have to say that I don't know the answer to your question. It is a bit odd that God goes into this form of discussion after Job has endured the challenge that Satan put before him and remained righteous through it all. Was it to show him that there is a bigger picture of things going on than Job himself realized? Don't know.

On the other hand, JHVH does allow tests to go on to see if we will stick to His rules and regulations. Allowing Paul's epistles to be included in the Bible canon is a good example of that. Do we stick to JHVH's word or allow "just anyone" to lead us along.

Mostly, I wanted to answer your question because I didn't want you to think that you were being ignored.

Molly

The case of Job 1 month 2 weeks ago #13139

• Cornelius
Thank you Molly

Much appreciated

The case of Job 3 weeks 2 days ago #13140

• charliemc
  • Thank you received: 91
Hi Cornelius,
It's been awhile since I checked in. I don't know the answer to your question either, however I found a good video on the subject. I admit I haven't watched it all, but, from what I did see it seems to be good. I hope this helps.
It's good to see that some of us are still checking in, thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cornelius

The case of Job 2 weeks 6 days ago #13141

• Cornelius
Hi charliemc

So glad to hear from you. At first, when I saw your post, I thought: "Oh no, not another video"... I am not a fan of watching videos (or television) - much preferring a proper discussion as such, but I took the time to view this video and man, am I impressed.This Rabbi did an excellent job in explaining the entire episode of Job.

LOVED IT.

And... it answered the entire question of what it was all about. Very beautiful explanation. If anybody wonders about Job like I have done, they should take the time to watch, listen and learn.

Thank you very much.

The case of Job 2 weeks 6 days ago #13142

• Molly
  • Thank you received: 39
Hi Charliemc-

Thank you for posting this video. It was very insightful. This Rabbi gave excellent suggestions on what Job might be all about. One that got my attention was that it could have been a "novel" by Moses to explain why he didn't get a straightforward response to his own questions. In any case it was chock full of ideas to ponder and really gave the book of Job much more expression.

It is good to hear that you also are still around and check in at this forum occassionally.

Molly
  • Page: