Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jezebel of Thyatira: A Female False Prophet

Jezebel of Thyatira: A Female False Prophet 2 years 5 months ago #12557

• Sara
  • Thank you received: 4
A dealer in purple, Lydia of Thyatira, is mentioned in Acts 16:14 She founded the Christian church there?
In Mathew 23,15, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves. In Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard : whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul. Have Paul making his first convert in Europe, it would Lidia Jezebel Jesus speaks?
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Sara.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Jezebel of Thyatira: A Female False Prophet 2 years 5 months ago #12562

• sheraldo
  • Thank you received: 62
Hi Sara, so good to hear from you!

When you say the Jezebel that Jesus spoke of, I am assuming you mean in Revelation 2:20? Lydia certainly fits the description I would agree...

It's interesting...she is a dealer in purple :) Doing a little digging on the purple industry back in those days....it seems as if it took a TON of milking a certain type of shellfish to produce purple dye. Purple was almost more valuable than gold, so this Lydia had to be RICH....

Not sure if there is any proof exactly that Lydia is the one, but it does make sense for sure. Paul would have definitely gravitated to the rich lady in my opinion being the kind of guy he was.

Anyways, interesting observation!

Take care,

Sheryl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sara

Jezebel of Thyatira: A Female False Prophet 2 years 5 months ago #12565

• charliemc
  • Thank you received: 91
Hi Sara, good to hear from you again.

You have made an excellent observation by connecting this woman to the woman in Revelation.
18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
She fits the description in several ways. One, she is from the same area, two, she let a large group of men stay in her house? And three, purple was very expensive mostly used by royalty.
19 Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him.

2 And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple robe,

3 And said, Hail, King of the Jews! and they smote him with their hands.
Yet her name is not even a name but rather a place, Lydia, many have speculated that she had been a slave or a commoner that became rich since she doesn't have a proper name. Finally, notice what happens right after Paul and the other Nicolatians are "constrained by her"
15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.

16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
Revelation says, "calleth herself a prophetess".
Great find!! Perhaps she was involved in more than just purple, maybe scarlet as well? :)

Thanks
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by charliemc.

Jezebel of Thyatira: A Female False Prophet 2 years 5 months ago #12566

• Sara
Every day I discover more things related to Paul. It is as if a light bulb lit. Anda sorry I did not know English because you are the best group of internet.

Jezebel of Thyatira: A Female False Prophet 2 years 5 months ago #12568

• Sara
I suppose that when Paul makes a proselyte he makes the worst converted so than he was. As Peter said, "A dog returns to its own vomit, and the pig washed the mud wallow."

Jezebel of Thyatira: A Female False Prophet 2 years 5 months ago #12569

• charliemc
  • Thank you received: 91
Tyrian purple (Greek, πορφύρα, porphyra, Latin: purpura), also known as Tyrian red, royal purple, imperial purple or imperial dye, is a bromine-containing reddish-purple natural dye. It is a secretion produced by one or more species of predatory sea snails in the family Muricidae, rock snails originally known by the name Murex.

The snail also secretes this substance when it is attacked by predators, or physically antagonized by humans (e.g., poked). Therefore the dye can be collected either by "milking" the snails, which is more labour-intensive but is a renewable resource, or by collecting and then crushing the snails completely, which is destructive. David Jacoby remarks that "twelve thousand snails of Murex brandaris yield no more than 1.4 g of pure dye, enough to colour only the trim of a single garment."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple#/med...-mit-Ausfaerbung.png
  • Page: